Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dog Days of Summer

I'm trying something a little different as a part of my journey to health. Everyone seems to love it when I include my silly poodle, Ziggy, into an entry. So for those of you as puppy crazy as I am... It's like Christmas in June! A while back, Purina asked me if I would be willing to test out their new "Light and Healthy" dog food brand. At first I thought it might be a little too gimmicky, but then I realized that this could actually be a lot of fun! 

Ziggy is coming up on his 10th birthday this fall, but I definitely want him to be around for a long time! To be honest with you, I haven't exactly been the best dog owner when it comes to his health. He's never been overweight or underweight, but when it comes to his exercise, I seriously slack off. The first obvious reason is that until fairly recently, I myself was slacking in the exercise department. So I thought: if I'm working on MY health, why not include my little man? 




I've never really tried long runs or walks with him because he's so small and has a history of back problems. But that doesn't mean we can't give it a go! I think this will be a fun distraction for me and who knows- maybe Ziggy will become famous and make me millions! :) 

Purina sent me this really cool kit to help me monitor his own healthy journey and the biggest bag of food I've ever seen! 8 times the size of food I usually buy. So that's exciting :) Dog food is expensive! The "Light and Healthy" brand claims to be healthier than other types of dog food because it's lower in calories, steam cooked at the start, and made with real chicken. 



So here's the plan: every Tuesday for the next few weeks I'll write a post about Ziggy's progress! 



Week One:

Ziggy likes the food...


video





but NOT the walking! He was DONE at 1,711 feet. 





I accidentally had the petometer set on feet instead of steps. So I guess that's what I'll be sticking with. He was panting so heavily I felt so bad for the little booger! We literally had to stop three times for him to rest!


So after a standoff, I turned us around and had to carry him.

He walked a total of 3,978 feet and boy was he ready to be home!


They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but we shall see! 

Go ZiggyTron3000!!

No comments:

Post a Comment