Saturday, June 22, 2013

Snack Attack

Remember my post about serving size vs. portion size? Here's a perfect example! I'm snacking on pretzel twists and queso dip (which is awesome btw, and better than tortilla chips). My portion is 18 twists and 4 tablespoons of queso, which is 310 calories. The actual serving size is half that (9 twists and 2 tbsp). 



So, if I'm going to eat more than the serving size, what does it matter, right? Here's why: instead of just ignoring the serving size altogether if you know you're going to eat more, establish a reasonable "portion" that you can work with. 

Do I need to eat a 310 calorie snack in between meals? Especially if it's while I'm plopped on the couch watching old Monk episodes? Hell no. Am I doing it anyway? Uh yeah. It's Saturday. It is important to prepare a "portion size" on these "bigger than serving size" occasions so that you are still conscious of how many calories you are consuming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment