Thursday, February 2, 2012

"Patting Yourself on the back can be Hazardous"

I borrowed this title from an excerpt in Tony Dungy and Nathan Whitaker's "Uncommon Life." If you haven't read their book, I highly suggest it. I am not a big book reader. I am a broadcast journalist, so my days are filled with reading and writing all day long. I love what I do, but when I'm home the last thing I want to do is read. This book is a daily read for me, because each day you only have to read one page, about five paragraphs. I can handle that! Each day they write about how to challenge yourself to be uncommon. Today they talk about Proverbs 27:2. "Let a stranger praise you, not your own mouth-a stranger, not your own lips." Tim Tebow was raised on a unique policy that I think really helps his greatness. His parents taught him and his brothers not to boast and brag about their accomplishments. Growing up they were only allowed to recap their athletic feats when asked. How genius was this of Mr. and Mrs. Tebow? Here's another quote, this one is by Dungy's high school football coach Dave Driscoll: "Talent is God-given, be thankful. Praise is man given, be humble. Conceit is self given, be careful." This devotion really hit home for me today because I plead the fifth about bragging. I want people to know how succesful and awesome I am. When I win a breaking news story, I want people to know it was ME! When I can finally fit into my clothes again, I want people to know about it! I look forward to running into work to tell folks the dress I have on used to be too small. Focusing on my wins and how I can brag about them makes me lose sight of what I'm really reaching for and can make me exaggerate and slip up. For example: yesterday, I was so excited to share my pictures with everyone and prove to the world that I am conquering this weight loss! I knew that I have lost some, so I allowed myself to overeat. I ate a cupcake at work just because they were there. I need to stay focused and concentrate more on the reasons behind my efforts. I am doing this for my health and for me. But don't worry, my blog babies... I am still going to be a posting fool! Just without all the posting boasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment