Monday, May 20, 2013

Red Russian Kale Breakfast Burritos

Apparently I just really love anything that is Latin-Inspired! I could eat nachos and chimichangas all day every day and never complain. Sunday morning I really wanted something spicy for breakfast. Spicy breakfast? Must mean burrito making time! Only makes sense! I apologize, though- I did not count the calories in this one, nor did I write down what I was doing as I was cooking. Please ask questions if there is something that doesn't seem right to you. I was also drinking wine and listening to Simon and Garfunkel, so I have no idea how long it took me to prepare or cook. But I do know that these were the tastiest damn breakfast burritos I've ever had!

Serves: 4

The What:


•1 Bell Pepper, chopped, put in two piles
•2 Tomatoes
•2 cloves of garlic, minced
•1 Jalapeno, chopped, put in two piles
•Half of one red onion, chopped, put in two piles.
•1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
•2 tablespoons hot sauce (your choice)
•1 cup shredded cheese (your choice, I used mozz)
•1 teaspoon cumin
•1 teaspoon chili powder
•1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
•4 wheat tortillas
•0 calorie cooking spray
•2 full leaves of Red Russian Kale, chopped
•4 Eggs
•2 tablespoons milk

The How:

Pre-Heat oven to 375 degrees

Red Sauce:
1) Heat Olive oil in pot. Once heated, add half of onions, both cloves of garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Simmer on low.
2) In food processor chop one tomato, half of jalapeno, half of bell pepper, hot sauce, little bit of water, and little bit of cornstarch. Once it resembles red sauce transfer to number one's pot. Cover and simmer on low, stirring occasionally.
•Once this sauce was done it looked like this (more like "orange sauce" really):


The Filling:
•Start this at the same time you start simmering the ingredients for the sauce. 
In skillet, saute on low with cooking spray: chopped kale, other half of the onions, other half of the bell pepper, other half of the jalapeno, the other tomato, chopped, salt and pepper to taste. 
•Scramble the eggs with the milk. Don't overcook them! Let them get as fluffy as you can. 
•Oh yeah- don't fuss with the veggies too much; just let them do their thing. They only need to be a little wilted.
•When I was ready to fill the tortillas with them they looked like this:



Now the fun part! Stuffing and rolling the burritos! I will not judge you if you tear the first 9 you try. Back in the day when I managed a restaurant I used to have to jump on the cooking line during rush hour. We sold burritos, so I've had a LOT of practice. Some folks get all fancy and steam the tortillas. Ain't nobody got time for that! You can either zap them in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds or you can heat them on a skillet. I prefer to just zap 'em. Here's my trick for rolling the perfect burrito: lightly spray both sides with cooking spray to keep it damp. Once you've done that, lay it flat, spoon your mixture in the very middle. Plop about one egg in each tortilla, then spoon 1/4 of veggie mixture on top. Here's what it should look like.


Roll it up, tucking in the sides as you go.


Place all 4 tortillas in baking dish, about a half inch apart from each other. Top with Red sauce, any leftover veggies, and cheese. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is all the way melted. 

Yum!




 






No comments:

Post a Comment