Monday, February 18, 2013

Wealthy and Healthy

Nine types of apples. NINE. That's how many variations my local grocery store has in stock right now. Honeycrisp, Gold Delicious, Jazz, Cameo, Braeburn, Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious, and Granny Smith. First of all, I have never even heard of a "Jazz" apple and I don't even want to know how far it had to travel to get my supermarket. According to allseasonsproduce.com, the only apple listed above that is actually in season right now is the Braeburn. The Gala is close to being in season, though. Brookefield Orchards' website says the season for Honeycrisp is early September. Gold Delicious= late September. Red Delicious= late September. I am not meaning to criticize the farmers who worked very hard to harvest all the food I see in the supermarket everyday. I am just currently obsessed with learning where my food comes from, what it is really made of, and how it will affect my body. I am picking on apples because I used to resist them. I used to resist any healthy food, really. But what's funny is that I spent the whole weekend staring at my last apple refusing to eat it until I had to. I'm a little broke right now, so my fridge is pretty much empty. I know that apples are really healthy and they do a pretty good job of filling you up. This is why I was holding on to that apple. I was waiting until that last broke and starving moment that I could, to savor it. How is it that when I have enough money to buy whatever food I want to, I go for crap? Doesn't logic tell me that I should invest in the good stuff that will fill me up and do good things to me? On to the next subject: the cost of food. Here is a bag of fruit: $6.99. Here is a bag of chips: 3 for $5.00. No wonder America is so stinkin' fat! You can get THREE bags of chips for two whole dollars less than ONE bag of fruit. Healthy food costs more, it's as simple as that. There is a correlation between wealth and health. Wealthier people have more resources to the healthier food. They have transportation to get to the supermarkets, they can afford the more expensive and healthier food and so on. From CNN: "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition recently published a study that found $1 could buy 1,200 calories of potato chips but just 250 calories of vegetables and 170 calories of fresh fruit. And it is also true that Mississippi, the poorest state in the country, is also the fattest." Also: "The rise of Type 2 diabetes in children coincides with the rise of child obesity and childhood poverty." Let's be honest here, you've allllll thought about it at one point or another: how can that lady in front of me in line weigh 400 pounds AND be on welfare? How is it possible that her ENTIRE family can literally make NO money but yet look like she eats enough to satisfy a fat King? It's because crappy food is cheap food. Not loving it. Here's my new way of looking at this issue: I say eat like you have all the money in the world. We spend so much money on stuff that does not matter. Stuff that tears up, gets lost, gets stolen, gets thrown away... but we don't spend money on our body. The ONE thing in the world that is truly worth investing in. Our body is all there is. Without health you have nothing. Take the time to invest in yourself. Spend a little more money at the grocery store on food that will treat you right. Instead of only saving that apple for a broke, hungry day- eat it every day and be wealthy in your health.

1 comment: