Monday, November 12, 2012

Finding What Works

So many people have been begging me to write another blog- I am sorry to have kept you waiting! I don't know what my hesitation is all about, but I have just been seriously disconnected the past couple of months. I haven't fallen off the wagon- that's not what's been happening, don't worry :) I'll jump right into what's been going on with me. I've been doing Nutrisystem for the past couple of months and I love it! I've been wanting to try it for years but just never got around to it. It has really taught me portion control. At first I would look at that tiny little lasagna box and giggle out loud that they actually thought this ridiculous portion was going to fill me up! I really started observing my coworkers and how they eat. I wanted so badly to be one of those people that can just come into work, eat my lunch and be done with food the rest of the day. I finally have gotten to the point where I don't feel the need to constantly snack throughout the day. My appetite has decreased tremendously and I am actually not ravished by the time I get off work! The Nutrisystem food is definitely not meant to be for long term because it is so full of sodium, but I think I have finally trained myself to be satisfied after a normal portion of food. I add veggies to the meal when I'm really hungry and I add my owns fruits as snacks throughout the day. Even though I never really drank regular sodas to begin with, I know that diet sodas have their sins, too. I used to always have a fridge stocked with diet soda, but now it's only water. My face has cleared up somewhat, too- so that's a plus! As far as exercise, I am so excited about what I'm doing now. all year long I have tried so hard to be one of those people who can just go to the gym, or go for a run, or go for a bike ride as part of my daily exercise routine. I'm just not that kind of person. I enjoy running and going to the gym and riding bikes, but not as my everyday, lose weight routine. So... I joined Iron Tribe! Iron Tribe is exactly what I have been searching for but didn't know it. Those of you who know me well know that I was an athlete growing up. I was a cheerleader, gymnast, dancer, tennis player, basketball player all rolled into one. I LOVE team sports and I really miss that. After I stopped cheering in college people always told me that I was going to have to watch my weight because without that team accountability, the pounds would just pile on. And they did! Because I had ALWAYS been a part of a team, I didn't have to exercise on my own... I had a coach and 15 other people making me exercise! Iron Tribe is perfect for me because I am with the same "tribe" 3 days a week. Right now I'm in "Tribe 101, " which is a month-long class, 3 days a week, teaching us the fundamentals of Iron Tribe. It's kind of like Cross Fit, if you're familiar with that. I get up at 5:30 am every Monday Wednesday and Friday and drive to Brentwood for the classes. It is so encouraging to see the same people at every class, with everyone cheering each other on, holding each other accountable... like a team! I am a very competitive person, so I always want to be at the top of the class. The workouts are short and intense- the kind I like! There is some cardio, but not much; it's more like sprinting, which is what I'm used to. I am absolutely obsessed and I plan on staying a member for a long time. At first I was really skeptical about getting up so early after getting off work so late, but I enjoy it so much it is easy for me. After almost 11 months of me trying to get in shape and really turn my life around, I think I have finally found what works for me. I have lost a total of 25 pounds since the beginning of the year! I have lost and gained, and lost and gained since January, but as of November 12, 2012, I am 25 pounds lighter than I was on January 1st. I expected to have lost at least 50 this year, but I'll take 25! The most important thing is that I haven't given up. After a few injuries and some hard blows to my self esteem this year, there were moments where I just absolutely wanted to give up and say screw it all. This year has been such an amazing one and I have learned that I really am the luckiest girl in the world. I have so many people who care about me, most who I don't deserve their love. I have changed so much this year on my journey to be happy and I am so grateful for those who have been a part of my life. I know I can do this, and having supporters there beside me is the most amazing feeling in the world. If I continue eating my normal portions and stick with Iron Tribe, I fully expect to lose 15 more pounds by the end of this year. I will keep you updated! Here is a picture of my tribe doing runner's stretches:
Today's workout was jump roping, front squats and ring dips. We're supposed to be able to do this double under thing, which is the rope going under your feet twice per jump. Yeah, I couldn't do that- but it's something for me to work towards for the next workout! As far as the ring dips go, I tried to look all suave like Vince Vaughan circa Old School:
But I definitely ended up looking more like this:
But that's the thing about Iron Tribe: now matter how good you are at one thing, there's tons more that you can improve on next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment