Monday, November 19, 2012

It's Just a Pull Up

So why can't I do just one!? One teensy little pull-up?? I knew the day would come soon... the day where my IronTribe coach would write "pull-up" on the WOD (workout of the day) board. Today was "AMRAP," which stands for "as many rounds as possible" of pull-ups, pushups and overhead squats. I had to use the thickest band in America to put my foot in to help do the pull-ups. Since I was going for AMRAP, I ended up skipping the band because I had to get help putting my foot in it because the band is so short (the shorter the band, the more help it gives you). I had to do these sissy jump to the bar things from a box that were super embarrassing and my wobbly bits were jiggling all over the place. It was 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups and 15 overhead squats, as many rounds as possible in 10 minutes. I did 6 2/3 reps in 10 minutes. I was really beating myself up because I can't do a pull up and I was having to use my knees for the push ups. I wasn't tired and my muscles weren't hurting, it's just that I weigh so damn much that my body limits me! It is the most frustrating thing in the entire world. When it came time to report to Coach how many rounds we did I was dreading saying it aloud and then watching him write it on the board. Because, see- it's written up there for all to see:
But then... I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I was right there in the middle. There were people who did 5 rounds and there were people who did 8 and 9. The other girls were using their knees for the push-ups, too and there was one other person in the class who had to do the sissy box jump pull-up thing as well. This made me feel so much better and I instantly quit punching myself in the face (metaphorically of course). But this is why I am so addicted to Iron Tribe. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Yes, there are super in shape guys in the class who can do all the exercises no problem, but for the most part we all have at least one thing we're really good at, while others struggle with it. I love the team feeling and I really hope that I can continue with it until I reach all my goals. Right now I just want to be able to do ONE pull up. Just ONE! I have NEVER been able to do one. Even when I was a college cheerleader and in crazy good shape I couldn't do one. I worry about the class after Iron Tribe 101 and if I'll be able to do it. They might make me re-do 101! Oh my, what if I fail?? These are the dumb things I worry about. I push myself and I WANT to be the best and not being able to the things that everyone else in the class can do infuriates me. I become obsessed and it's all I can think about. Lacey and I walked tonight on our "dinner break" and it felt so good. We decided that we have to get back into that habit. Just those 20-30 minutes of getting up and moving around makes all the difference in the world. I HATE sitting at a desk alllllll day. Ok, so next on the writing agenda: food and weight. I had a bad weekend. I'm super broke right now so I couldn't really go out and do a lot of stuff so I basically had to just sit around and do nothing. I WANTED to be productive, but my biceps were so freakin sore from the Iron Tribe workout from Friday, I literally could not straighten my arms saturday or sunday. I had to force myself to do laundry last night and it hurt just to pick up the basket! I kind of ate like shit all weekend, too. I didn't binge on fast food or pizza or anything, I just ate a lot of junk food at my house. For example: I had blue corn chips and salsa and I ate the whole big ol bag in two days. Plus sun chips plus ice cream plus pita chips and hummus, all instead of snacking on carrots or fruits. I woke up this morning wondering how I was going to survive IronTribe with my biceps all a fire but I made it through. I didn't get much sleep last night and it REALLY makes a difference in how I perform. I was also pretty dehydrated from the weekend (too much wine saturday night). When I got back from my workout this morning I was so disgusted with how I ate this weekend I decided to "help my house help me" as this week goes on. I went straight to my fridge and organized all my nutrisystem food in a way that will be easy and encouraging to stick to it:
I reorganized my stones in my pounds lost jars- adding 3 big ones with big milestones: "250," "200," and "150." I cannot wait to get to put the first big milestone stone in the jar:
As far as food goes, I'm still really enjoying Nutrisystem. It has helped me with portion sizes so much. For example, today I've eaten: banana nut muffin for breakfast, chicken salad on leafy romaine with bleu cheese dressing, chicken alfredo pasta with broccoli and carrots and I will eat some kind of hundred calorie pack when I get home. Here was dinner:
I had a co worker tell me today that I am starting to look really good and it totally made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment