Monday, February 20, 2012

"The Game ain't Over 'till it's Over!"

This quote is from the great Yogi Berra. This past week has been really hard for me. I haven't exercised like I should and I ate really poorly this weekend. I went to a former co-worker's house for a Mardi Gras party and ran into
some folks I haven't seen in a few months. It seemed like every single one of them reads my blog and they all had such encouraging things to say. One of the guys told me he lost a lot of weight by giving up sugar. He says what he found most interesting is that when you give up sugar it's smell no longer is attractive. He claims it actually smells pretty bad. We discussed how grocery stores put their fresh baked goods right up front when you first walk in so you'll pile them in your cart. There for a while he hated going in grocery stores because the smell bothered him so much. Why is it that while we are consuming bad things for us, i.e. sugar, it is appealing, but when we decide to get rid of it, our body sends us signals to keep it out? I was running late the other morning and I needed some breakfast. I stopped at Burger King and surprisingly the most appealing thing on the menu was the oatmeal with fruit. Our bodies are amazing in how they communicate with our mind. Last night I went to Dave & Busters with a good friend of mine. If you don't know what that is, you're missing out! It's a huge bar with arcade games, bowling, pool, food, etc. It's basically an adult Chuck E. Cheese :) As we were walking around trying to figure out which games to play, it occurred to me that I only like playing games where I'm competing solo. I love skeeball, the moving hoop basketball game, etc... I looked through the game apps on my phone and survey says: they're all games that require me to beat the system. That unblock me app is the jam. I could play that all day! So, this got me thinking about the weight loss game I'm playing with myself. How often have you seen me call beating a craving a "win?" So, if cravings and deciding not to exercise are the system, then I need to step my game up! This past week
was conquered by the system for sure. But not this week! The game ain't over yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment