Friday, January 13, 2012

My Fattest Moments

I remember the day I became obese. I say I became obese that day because obese is a way of life, a way of thinking. It is an addiction based on the inability to overcome your cravings. The day my mindset about food, and well, life in general changed was one day in 2004 when I got home from work. I was in college working at a restaurant called Locos Grill and Pub in Birmingham, AL. I had the worst job ever invented: a server. When I got off work I ordered a plate of potato skins to go. It was a really awful day at work and I decided to solve my problems that day with a plate of cheesy, bacony, buttery, fried, sour creamy goodness. Once I got home with the food, I was allowed to stuff my face and eat the whole plate without anyone around. This started something new. I began to bring food home that was horrible for me because I knew I wasn't supposed to. It was like, somehow, eating that to go box full of shit would somehow make me feel better about having a crappy day. This became a habit and eventually, an addiction. I got to the point where I literally could not even remember the last time I exercised, much less ate something healthy. I was partying with my friends, doing poorly in shcool and pretty much just sucking at life. It was fun at the time, but now it's like I'm nursing an 8 year hangover. Remember how I said in an earlier blog that something would inspire me to lose weight? I would get so pumped up and swear that I was going to lose it and keep it off? Here are a few examples of those inspirations, a.k.a. my "fattest moments:" •In the fall of 2007 I went to a PRSSA convention in Philadelphia with my PR class in college. I was so excited about the trip...my first professional trip! I got to meet Mia Farrow, Tim Russert, and thousands of public relations professionals and students from across the country. I was miserable the entire trip because my feet hurt so bad and my legs were constantly chaffed due to the amount of walking we had to do. One day we went to the Rocky statue. The whole group ran up the stairs and did the appropriate Rocky celebratory dance and were ready to come back down by the time I made it up there. The icing on the cake this trip? On the flight on the way back home I had to get a seatbelt extender. Mortified. I'm on the far right in the top picture. Second from left in the bottom picture. Fattest Moment.
•Summer of 2009: I went to Six Flags with some of my sorority sisters. Before the trip I was dreading being all sweaty and miserable because it was the middle of the summer. I was not expecting to NOT BE ABLE TO FIT INTO THE RIDES!!! Yep. I could not ride half of the rides because I was too fat. I love roller coasters and had to sit back and be the purse holder. I'm on the right. Fattest Moment.
•I have three best friends that I have known pretty much my entire life: Anna, Lee and Amy. We all grew up together and I love them to death. We've been friends for over 20 years. When Anna got married I was so mad at myself for being overweight in her wedding. We had been dreaming about being each other's bridesmaids our whole lives! How could I have done this to myself? I'm to the right of the bride.
After Anna's wedding I vowed to lose weight for the next one. A couple years later Lee got married. I was even bigger. All the way in the front to the right.
Not too long after that, Amy got married. The biggest I've ever been. I even had to order a "special" dress. BTW, Anna is on left. At this point in our lives, she had already given birth to twins. Lee is on the right.
Fattest moments. These are just some of my fattest moments. I feel like if these had happened to most people, it would have really kicked them in the butt to get a move on for good. But not me! I just let it get me down. Not anymore. I am crazy successful in my career and I think it's about time I let my body show that I am happy and successful!

4 comments:

  1. You are beautiful and fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! I feel so blessed to have you as my bff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The exclamaition points resemble lower case "L"'s. I just wanted to make sure you know I was excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete