Sunday, June 16, 2013

I've Gained 5 Horrible Pounds

The good, the bad, the ugly. That's what this journey is all about. Learning to keep the good going, controlling the bad, and stopping the ugly. Lately I'd say I've been bad. Not totally ugly, because I have had spurts of good. I haven't been exercising as much as I need to be and my food intake has been less than perfect. I met with my trainer on Friday for an assessment. I've gained 5 pounds since my last one, lost an inch in my waist, gained an inch and a half in my hips, upped my BMI, and slightly lowered my body fat percentage (.02%, so for those of you about to say I probably gained muscle. Not really). 



As you can imagine, this was a shitty way to start my weekend. I realized I had one of two choices: get depressed and beat myself up... or get good again. I decided to return to good. The first step? Discover why I've been bad. That was easy: work has been a little frustrating lately. I am an extremely career driven gal and work means everything to me. That could be a part of the problem. So how have I been "dealing" with this problem? Late night snacking. So, now I have 3 problems: 1) Letting work frustrate me 2) Forming a bad habit of late night snacking and 3) 5 pounds that I busted my ass to get off have landed their ugly faces on my hips (literally). 

When MC (my coach) measured me she asked if I could feel the gain. I honestly told her no. I thought I would have lost some! Crazy. I am so glad I was able to see this for what it is. On Thursday night (night before my assessment) I went to the store to get dishwasher detergent after work. I came out with this:


See that bag of chips? I ate it all. See that dip? Licked it clean. The soda pop? Drank half of it. I did actually need coffee creamer. Once I stepped into the grocer, washing dishes immediately became the least of my priorities. All I could think about was what kind of shit can I get to snack on? Next thing I knew I had almost forgotten dish washing liquid, was at the Redbox, and then on my couch mindlessly snacking and watching Safe Haven. Snacking until my hand came out of the bag empty handed. Snacking + Nicholas Sparks? What am I? A masochist?

At my assessment all I could think about was if I HADN'T binged on chips, dip, and soda, how different would the results would have been? My chip chomping session began about 11pm Thursday night and my assessment was at 7am Friday morning. I hate to be inappropriate here, but I hadn't had my, er, "post-coffee routine" yet if you know what I mean... Maybe the gain was faux??

After realizing that I may never know the answer to that, I admitted to my coach (actually both coaches, I think it was a planned intervention lol) that I have been doing the dirty late at night: eating instead of solving what's bothering me. They both suggested some alternative snacks at night. One of them said hard boiled eggs and the other chimed in in agreement. At first I thought they were kidding. Who the hell ACTUALLY snacks on an EGG? Well, these two fitness queens were dead serious. 

Ok, I'll try it:


Uhmmmm... Not convinced. 



S & P, 0 cal hot sauce should be good...


I was pleasantly surprised. Cooking the eggs gave me time to think about what I was doing. After I got over the initial hump of needing to snack, I was able to eat because I was a little hungry. Because I had it portioned, I was forced to stop before I ate enough to turn myself into an angry hen. 


Next step? Make a plan. 5 pounds down by June 28th. I got do that. Do the good that got them off in the first place. Control the bad, and block out the ugly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment