Thursday, May 23, 2013

Kale Chips

I am really slow to jump on the kale chip bandwagon. Frankly, I just think they look gross. How can baked lettuce be good, right? I'm so glad I decided to give it a go. So easy and surprisingly good. Let me give you fair warning: don't burn them. I learned that kale chips are kind of like cooking bacon. You have to take them out of the heat before you think they're done. I always burn the bacon. I forget that it keeps cooking for a little bit after you take it out of the pan. This is probably why I'm still single: I suck at cooking bacon. I burned a few pieces of kale because I just didn't think it was done yet. So gross. Don't burn them.


The What:

•5-6 Large Kale Leaves, torn from the stems. I used Blue Scottish Kale, but I think many variations will work just fine. 
•2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
•Salt

The How:
 
•Preheat oven to 350
•Wash Kale thoroughly. This is especially important if you don't use organic. Non-organic can leave a pesticide residue on the surface when cooking. 


•Dry well. If you have a fancy salad spinner, use one of those. I had to go old school and let paper towels absorb all the water. 


•Toss in olive oil and salt. I do not suggest using a lot of oil or seasoning. You want to do everything you can to prevent them from burning.


•Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, lay leaves flat and spread apart. 


•Bake for about 15 minutes. Now, I know you're probably thinking that the end product doesn't look any different from the raw leaves. Trust me. They're good. 



No comments:

Post a Comment