Tuesday, April 16, 2013

5 Things I Couldn't do 5 Months Ago

Having a regular exercise program is crucial to weight loss. This of course requires the use of my favorite word: planning. Plan ahead to get the results you want. This is what works best for me and I suspect it will work for you, too. This is why I love cross fit- I can go to my gym's website the night before my workout and I know exactly what I'll be doing the next day. I go to my gym (IronTribe) 3 days a week at the same time, so I don't have to worry about finding time to work out. I've been doing this since the end of November and I've lost 30 pounds. Coincidence? I don't think so. I think having a workout plan is the best way to exercise and it's not as hard as it sounds.

Take a few minutes on Sundays to map out your routine for the week and see how that works out for you. If you have a plan it will relieve the burden of fighting with yourself over exercising. You know what I'm talking about: you go to bed planning to get up early to workout, then you sleep through your alarm and you are distracted all day as you try to talk yourself into/out of working out when you get off work. Then you don't do it, you feel guilty, swear the next day will be better... rinse and repeat.

 Plan. Brush your hands of the hassle of the daily exercise fight: done.

When I started IronTribe I could not do a "real" push-up, a box jump, or a full burpee. My pull-ups were not pull-ups at all; I had to jump up to the bar and fake it. Now I can do a pull-up with a resistance band. I also could not do full med ball sit-ups; I had to modify those, too. After 5 months I can do all these things. I credit having a regular routine. If I just sporadically went to the gym without a plan, I really don't think I would have been able to meet as many goals as I have.

I say give planning a try and see the positive results. Do it for 3 weeks and I am confident that you will feel less stressed and will start to look forward to your planned workouts. These workouts don't have to be anything crazy. Start small, like 30 minutes of walking on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday Mornings before you go to work. Add 15 minutes of resistance on Tuesday and Thursday evenings after dinner. 

Examples of resistance workouts:


Once you get that routine down pat, increase the intensity of the walks by adding some jogging and add weights to your Tuesday and Thursday workouts.

Plan to get the results you want. 

So, to celebrate my success in workout planning and sticking with it, I decided to share a video with you of me doing all the exercises I couldn't do 5 months ago. In another 5 months, I fully expect to not need that band at all for the pull-ups and that box will be a 20 incher instead of 12 inches. Those are my goals and I will continue to plan like it's going out of style to reach them. 


6 comments:

  1. Lori: Am so proud of you! It's just a matter of organization and commitment. When I first started working out - though I was not overweight and jogged religiously - I could not do ONE women's push up! Not one! And I could not bench press the bar only on the Smith machine. Now I can do 30 or more regular push ups at a time and have bench pressed 85 pounds. I'm 5'2", 111 pounds and 67 years old. Anyone can do it if you just persevere. You'll have setbacks - get sick, have surgery, etc and can't work out but just get back when you can no matter how limited. Move it forward even if only an inch a day. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev! And wow! Look at you go! You have always such an inspiration to me and this just puts you further up on that pedestal! Proud of you, too!

      Delete
  2. Lori,
    That is great! You are a remarkable woman... Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Lori, go! You are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude! That is awesome! I am so jealous, I want to try iron tribe but I am scared to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice job, Lori. Great motivation there!

    ReplyDelete