Tuesday, April 16, 2013

360 Calorie Pad Thai

I have a friend from Birmingham who comes to visit me in Nashville a lot. I'm pretty sure the only reason she comes up here is for the Pad Thai at this little restaurant right down the road from me. It is the best Pad Thai on the planet, I swear. Well, on this side of the world, anyways. I've have been craving it like crazy but I've been resisting. Instead of caving to the craving today, I decided give it a go in my kitchen. It was pretty darn good.

Chicken Pad Thai
Serves: 3
Calories per Serving: 360


The What:

12 ounces of skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 cups of rainbow slaw, raw. Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots, and Red Cabbage. I cheated and bought the bagged kind.
•1 tablespoon of olive oil
•3 tablespoons of reduced fat creamy peanut butter
•3 limes
• 1 orange
•2 ounces of chopped almonds and cashews, raw, non-salted
•2 teaspoons cumin
•1 teaspoon minced garlic
•1 teaspoon onion powder
•2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
•chili paste (optional)

The How:

1) Chicken:
•Dice chicken into bite sized pieces.
Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat, add chicken, juice of one lime, 1 tsp cumin, and zest of half an orange.
•Cook until chicken is about 150 degrees, add chopped nuts and cook until chicken is done.

2) Sauce:
•Put peanut butter and half a cup of water in food processor until smooth.
Transfer to sauce pan, add juice of one orange, juice of one lime, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp minced garlic, and 2 tsp red pepper flakes. Simmer over low-medium for about 15 minutes. Add spices until desired flavor is reached. Don't be afraid to add a little water if it is too thick. I think I had to add about 2 tablespoons of water halfway through.
•The sauce yielded one cup when it was finished and was thin, but not runny. 


3) "Noodles:"
•I did not need any oil or butter to make this. In pan, saute the slaw over medium heat with the juice of one lime and salt and pepper. Cook for about  8 minutes, or until the slaw slices begin to look transparent. 


•Once the slaw is done you're ready to chow down! This serves three, so divide everything up into thirds, mix it all together in a bowl, and enjoy! 
•Top with chili paste if you desire. I didn't have any, but I would've if I had some!


No comments:

Post a Comment