Friday, April 12, 2013

105 Calorie Sweet Potato Latkes

These sweet potato latkes are basically a mouthful of awesome. In fact, they were so awesome, I will never make them again because I ate the entire batch in ONE DAY! That's right: I ate them ALL. In a DAY. In other words: I latke. I latke them a lot.
Amazing that THIS:


Can make THESE slices of heaven:



Ok, here's how to get started on your new starchy weakness. You'll need:

•1 pound of sweet potatoes. Which was two this size:


•2 scallions, chopped
•1/4 cup whole wheat flour
•6 tablespoons of liquid egg whites
•1 1/2 teaspoon of s and p
•3/4 cup vegetable oil

How To:

•Stir all ingredients together except for the oil. It will be a little runny, and might not stick together very well. If you have trouble keeping it together, you can add a little flour as needed, but I didn't need to.


•Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over med-high heat (doesn't matter the size- it depends on your preference of how many you want to cook at a time. I used a small one, cooking 4-5 at a time)


•While they are frying, press down on them slightly.
•Cook until they are good and golden, and a little crispy (but don't burn them!). It took about 2 minutes on each side. 
•Immediately blot and drain on paper towels (or a napkin like me since I was out lol). This made 11, or 12 if you count the burnt one I cast aside. Ziggy got that one. 


All nutrition facts are approximate and they are based on latkes about 2.5 inches in diameter:
 105 calories per latke
7 grams of fat per latke



No comments:

Post a Comment