Thursday, January 31, 2013

Why is Food Such a Big Deal?

Pouring my heart out to a friend explaining my struggles with food, she blurts out: "I just don't see what the big deal with food is! I just don't think it's that big of a deal to make a healthy decision!" I was taken aback by this outburst until I realized how right she is. It really is not a big deal to make a healthy decision. I was at Whiskey Kitchen the other day for lunch and World War III was happening in my head. I felt like the junk inside my skull was going to implode. Get the Philly cheesesteak! Get the chicken fingers! Get the burger! Get the nachos! No, be good and get grilled chicken. Get the grilled chicken salad. Get the veggie wrap. No! Get the Philly Cheesesteak! No. Get the grilled chicken salad. Dressing on the side. You will feel so much better afterwards. It will be so rewarding. Decision made. Then the server plopped the pizza menu down in front of me apologizing for forgetting to give it to me with my menu (bitch). Yes, get pizza! Flat bread pizza is the jam. You can get veggie pizza. No. Shut up. Stop it. Get the grilled chicken salad. Now. Before you change your mind. By the time i spat "grilled chicken salad" out I was seriously exhausted from fighting with myself. JEEZ! I mean, this is seriously what goes on in my head EVERY time I am deciding what to eat. Absolutely ridiculous. I was talking to someone today who was so proud of themselves for not even craving cigarettes lately. I immediately got all judgmental and wanted to say: Ew! Why would you even crave a cigarette in the first place? As soon as I thought it, I realized how stupid it was for me to judge someone for craving a harmful substance. Unhealthy food IS a harmful substance. They should put warning labels on bad food: WARNING! Repeat use of grease has been proven to cause heart attacks, birth defects, chaffed thighs, and fat ugly bitch syndrome.
Every time I decide to eat well instead of shitty I see that little band like in those anti-smoking commercials. So, basically I'm in kind of a rehab program. I am weening myself off of food drugs. I will have withdrawals and I will relapse, but I'm NOT checking out!!

1 comment:

  1. That's actually correct, food is the drug. And while you can quit cigarettes and alcohol and pills cold turkey, food is the only drug we are told to eat in moderation. And moderation is hard when you are an addict. Sometimes I wish I wouldn't need to eat at all. Because I get so tired trying to decide which food is okay for me, which not, what I should and shouldn't eat... Like coconut butter for example. It's supposedly a healthy thing (at least according to my diet's recommendations) but I can't eat it because I like it too much. I day dream about eating coconut butter. That's why I can't have it. Despite it is healthy. Oh man, this is difficult.
    Anyway, good luck to you! Let's not allow food control us ;)

    ReplyDelete