Monday, January 9, 2012

I'm Insane!

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Albert Einstein. A conversation at work led me to believe that everyone, including me, is insane! A co-worker told us she pinched herself with pliers so many times while taking down Christmas lights that she has bruises covering her hands. We asked her why she didn't take them down using a different method and she said it was because she wanted to just keep going and get it done. This spurred a conversation about all the things we do repeatedly, despite the pain it causes. One co-worker says he is guilty of constantly leaving kitchen cabinet doors open and banging his head on them. He says it always strikes him right in the temple and no matter how bad it hurts, he doesn't learn from it! Someone then said: "my husband does the same thing! He bangs his head into the cabinets all the time and never learns!" I bet Einstein would have had a grand 'ol time calling all of us insane. He would definitely think my weight loss efforts are insane: something inspires me to lose weight, I vow to do it this time and keep it off for good. I start a new journal, I spent money on the latest weight loss magic trick and stick with it for 5 seconds. Something inspires me to lose weight, I vow to do it this time and keep it off for good. I start a new journal, I spent money on the latest weight loss magic trick and stick with it for 5 seconds. Something inspires me to lose weight, I vow to do it... Ok, I think you get the point. The co-worker that kept pinching her hands deliberately continued with what she was doing because she was just ready to take the Christmas lights down. Getting off the ladder and figuring out a different way to do the chore might cause more work in the present and the result would be further away. And, there's always the chance that a new method would be more difficult and challenging along the way, despite an ending without bruised hands. The cabinet whacker forgets to close the doors and his carelessness causes him harm later. These examples might not be exactly along the lines of Einstein's definition, but the point is that we repeat things no matter how many times we get hurt by the same action. I will continue with a bad health decision, despite the consequences I could face. For example: sometimes I know I should go to the grocery store and buy healthy food, but instead, I'll stay on the couch and order pizza. And like the cabinet whacker, I forget to make myself aware of my repeat offenses. I get so used to being unhealthy that making smart, good-for-me decisions don't affect me until I get whacked upside the temple by the metaphorical cabinet door. I.E: going days and days eating crap and drinking sodas and then suffering from a migraine due to the sodium and lack of water. So, how can I reclaim my sanity? Stop repeating bad habits that I know have consequences and make conscious, deliberate decisions to be healthy all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment